4/24/11

Teardrop on the Fire


What was I thinking? I should have been using only candles long ago. They are way better than lanterns or flashlights. There was a violent storm earlier today and this usually means that there will be no electricity for a while. No big deal, I have candles now.

I know I complain a lot about the kids in the concession, but I do love them. Since the power went out I thought it’d be a good idea to use all the tomatoes in my fridge so they don’t go bad. There was also a lemon in the vegetable drawer. Today was an insanely busy day. I’m teaching a women’s group who I’m working with how to make soap. The plan is to sell it at the health center and educate the mamas on hygiene. Did I mention tonight was the first time I have ever made soap in my life? Anyways by the time I was done working with them I scrambled to start cooking dinner. It was around eight o’clock.

I asked the kids if they wanted to help me. “BIEN SUR!” They respond. This is, ‘of course!’ in French. These four are named, Amadou (who I like to call Amadamadou), Ibrahim, Yaouba and my favorite, Yousoufa. I’m not supposed to have favorites but he totally is. Keep in mind that there is no electricity; all I have are four candles, one lantern and my heavy duty Mag-lite. I light the four candles on all corners of the kitchen and place the lantern on the counter. The kitchen has never looked so cool.

Amadamadou said, “We can’t start without washing our hands!”

By the way, I taught him that (he also covers his sneezes with his shoulder now too).

I bring in my bucket with some reserved water in it from earlier and we wash our hands with that. The four of us start cutting the onions, garlic and tomatoes. I light the stove, pour some olive oil in my pan, slide all the vegetables in the pan and begin to stir. The kids all watch me. I shake some oregano, thyme, paprika, black pepper and salt in the pan. The kids all watch me. I decide to put some music on, my mom sent me some speakers that work with batteries for my birthday. The kids request Neon Bible by Arcade Fire, its one of the few songs I know how to play on the guitar and they love that song. I get out some tomato paste and mix it with filtered water; I pour that into the pan too. The kids all watching me. After a while I finally decide to start boiling water for the macaroni impulsively decide to squeeze the lemon in the sauce too. Luckily earlier I had asked Yousoufa to get me some macaroni and onions as I was making soap with the women, without him there would be no dinner tonight. I pour the macaroni in the boiling water.

The kids watched.

It’s a custom here to share food. It’s rare when the Dadas (mamas) of the concession (compound) don’t offer me what they cook. They usually end up giving me what they make even after I say, “No thank you.” This simple way of life has compelled me to always share what I cook, no matter how much I prepare. This is also the reason I never have leftovers.

I realized that the bag of macaroni Yousoufa bought was a little too small after I’m done pouring out the water from the pot. There is only enough for three servings. Dang it. I decide at that moment that I wouldn’t eat tonight. There would only be enough for the kids, the mamas, and my landlord (and his wife). I serve the two bowls and the third one in the Tupperware (for my landlord, Salihou). I ask Amadamadou to give one of the bowls to the mamas and other kids and ask Ibrahim to give the Tupperware to Salihou. When the two got back I handed them the third bowl. They instantly asked, “Aren’t you going to eat?”

I replied, “No, I’m not hungry, I just wanted to use the tomatoes before they got bad.”

They didn’t believe me. They knew I had not eaten because before working with the women’s group, the five of us were working on the garden and before that I went to the middle school for my English lesson (which I didn’t get to teach because of the rainstorm). These kids immediately stopped eating and handed me the rest of the bowl which was still practically full. I accepted. They asked me if they could play with the blocks and the puzzle of the African map I bought for them. I respond,

“BIEN SUR!”

I place all but one candle in the living room for them. I leave the lantern on the floor and enjoy my meal with pleasant music by the candle light. Sometimes I envy the volunteers in villages without electricity. I join them in the living room and open Three Cups of Tea (given to me as a gift by my older sister, Isis). After a chapter and a half, I get inspiration to write this entry. Reading by candle light with music in the background is officially one of my new favorite past times.

Merci, Yousoufa, Amadamadou, Ibrahim and Yaouba.

Carlos Jesus Fernandez-Torres
April 19, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment