4/19/11

They say rap has changed, they want to know how I feel about it

I have been writing a lot. Enjoy some poetry.

MaPa

When I get lost I look for my Ma
When I get lost I remember my Pa
The givers of my life
The reason I’m alive

The writers of my name
The editors of my thoughts
The publishers of my inspiration
Mi Ma y mi Pa

Juntos,
Together
They not only gave me my life
But give it to me every day
Cada dia

I get lost a lot.
Cada dia,
But there are never problems
Only challenges
Cada dia
I erase my limits
And review my direction
But before I look through the telescope
I look for my Ma
And remember my Pa
Y digo gracias a Dios por mi MaPa

Carlitos J. Fernandez-Torres
January 1, 2011


Ill Regal Immigrant

Stop kissing my hand
Stop passing me the ball
Get me off of this stand,
Stop worrying, I’m not going to fall

You see the color of my skin,
So you triple the price.
I can’t let you win.
I can’t be too nice

I can’t give you money,
Children, please stop starring
This attention is scarring.

Men claim to know
everything about the whites.
Maybe they’re right.

I’ll tell you what.

Hand me that cup of tea
Sell me that lantern oil fairly
I’ll show you some pictures,
Some new music too
And we can go out dancing

Then we will
know,
understand,
and simply stand
One another.

Carlos Jesus Fernandez-Torres
April 14, 2011


Fire on a Canoe

In this very moment,
two different lights are
at my front.

I am facing one,
the other is facing me.

The one I am not facing,
Is a flame.
a fire that dances within
a sphere of a golden silhouette.

It delivers inspiration,
smoothly,
It descends transcendently,
Like a river’s source
from a mountain.

Decorating the tip of the wick
is a glowing red charcoal.
It does not have much time
left. We both burn.

The other
light,
will stay bright
for exactly five hours
and fifty five minutes more.

This light does not
dance.
It does not
inspire.

Instead this fire,
waits.
For me.
For my thoughts to be transferred
inside.

Instead in this light I confide
everything I choose to hide.

This modern typewriter
is the mouth of my
river of contemplations
and revelations.

Here.
The three of us
wait.
Each with a purpose.
Wait!
Tragic or perfect?
Neither,
of
us
have
enough
t
i
m
e
.

Carlos J. Fernandez-Torres
April 19, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Carlos
    What a fine man you're growing into.

    Your mother and your father are extremely proud of you, I am sure.

    As your adopted sister, I know I sure am.

    Abrazos!

    -Esperanza

    ReplyDelete